Application Process

A Language Assistant is a qualified and trained native English speaker who is acting as a support to the teacher, and as an English teacher themselves, in a primary school or high school somewhere around the world. 

Our Language Assistants are actual teachers in the classrooms and are not to be confused with TA’s (teaching assistants).

We are passionate about Language Assistantships and building our portfolio of connections around the globe so that we can better help Connect People to Places.

The experience of a lifetime in Spain! Through our Teach English in Spain Program, not only do we connect Language Assistants with teaching jobs in Spain, we provide a unique program experience that is designed to offer a slice of all that Spain has to share.

We offer a personalized, one-on-one custom experience to each of our program participants. They are our priority. We have found that so often Language Assistants around the world are left without support, guidance and assistance for even the simplest of confusing tasks such as opening a bank account in a foreign country, all of which is amplified tenfold when you don’t speak the language.

We are there for our program participants every step of the way and continue to offer the same level of support and availability throughout the entire duration of their time in Spain.

If you’ve always wanted to live in another country, finally put into practice all those years of foreign language classes you’ve been taking, work and make money during the weekday and travel all throughout Europe on the weekends, we can help.

We understand how difficult and confusing it can be to move and to live in another country, and even more so if you don’t speak the language and have no one to assist you.

Reach out to RVF International if you are wanting to teach as a Language Assistant in another country, even if just for a year.

We accept applications year-round so you can apply anytime you like!

Applications received between May 1st 2020 to March 26th 2021 will be considered for teaching positions in Spain for the 2021/2022 academic school year that starts October 1st, 2021 and will end May 31st 2022.

Applications received between March 27th 2021 to April 6th 2022 will be considered for teaching positions in Spain for the 2022/2023 academic school year that starts October 1st, 2022 and will end May 31st 2023.

Applications received between April 7th 2022 to April 6th 2023 will be considered for teaching positions in Spain for the 2023/2024 academic school year that starts October 1st, 2023 and will end May 31st 2024.

Visit our Contact Form, fill out the information, and one of our program specialists will get back to you as quickly as possible to schedule a video call to further discuss all that the program has to offer. During the call, the program specialist will go over the application and on-boarding process of what all is required so that we can save your spot in Spain!

In order to participate, we require a passport from the U.S.A., Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Philippines, Fiji, or India, and a bachelor’s degree. You are not required to have a TEFL or a CELTA, or any previous teaching experience of any kind. You will also need to submit a photocopy of a valid passport, official copies of your transcripts if you’re still in college or a copy of your Bachelor’s Degree if you’ve graduated, a Personal Statement, and a Letter of Recommendation to be considered. 

Yes! As long as you graduate and receive your bachelor’s degree before the program start date (October 1st of each year) you can apply.

Our Teach English in Spain program runs every October to the following May. For example, the 2021/2022 program year will start October 1st, 2021 and will end May 31st, 2022.

The program fee is $1,299 USD and is broken down into two payments. The first payment, a $700 commitment deposit (non-refundable) is required to sign up for the program. The remaining balance of the program fee is due within five days of receiving and accepting your placement in Spain (between late May to late July).

Immediately after paying the Program Commitment Deposit, you will be contacted by one of our Teach Abroad Program Specialists to begin uploading several required documents to our online portal that are required to receive a placement in Spain. 

We will need the following from you:

  1. A photocopy of your passport ID page.
  2. A Personal Statement on why you would like to teach English in Spain.
  3. A Letter of Recommendation from a current/former university professor if you are still in university or have been out for no more than three years, or from a current/former employer if you graduated from university over three years ago.
  4. A PDF scan of your Bachelor’s Degree or your Official University Transcripts if you are still in university.

We use a reliable cloud storage and synchronization service developed for storing and sharing files. All of your documents and information are securely stored on encrypted servers and an encrypted network connection is used to transfer files. Once the placement process is finalized, all of your documents are securely and permanently deleted.

0 +
Students Enrolled
0 +
Courses Uploaded
0 +
People Certifie
0 +
Global Teachers

Placement Process

You will earn between €700 EUR to €1000 EUR per month depending on the region as the salary is relative to the cost of living of the location where you are placed. The salary is a very competitive Spanish wage. The cost of living in Spain is drastically cheaper than it is to live in North America, and you will have more than enough money to live off of with what you will be earning.

You can participate for up to three years! If you’d like to come to Spain for just one year and then return to your home country, that is perfectly fine as well.

You will only be working 4-days a week and will always have a 3-day weekend every single week where you can travel, explore your placement city, and spend your time like you want to.

Class will start at 9:00am and will end at 2:00pm each day so you’ll only be required to be at your school during those hours.

In smaller regions you can expect to work between 12 – 14 hours a week and in larger regions you will work between 18 – 20 hours a week.

You will be the English expert at your school and will be tasked with supporting classrooms as they teach subjects, such as science, social studies, English, and P.E. just to name a few, as well as leading groups both large and small in conversational English activities and exercises that promote language learning.

You will also be tasked with explaining and teaching your own personal US or Canadian culture and way of life to the students through presentations and classroom activities. For example, it is very common to give a presentation in November on Thanksgiving, or to help decorate the school in October for Halloween to introduce the students to holidays that are not common in Spain.

School placements are completely operated and managed by the local regional governments. We offer placements at schools in Spain in the following Autonomous Communities (Spanish Regions): Madrid, The Basque Country, Valencia, The Canary Islands, Asturias, Extremadura, Murcia, Galicia, Andalucía, and The Baleares Islands.

We do not currently have any placements in Cataluña, including Barcelona.

We are only able to guarantee the placement region and cannot guarantee specific cities within the region. Although we often are able to accommodate city-specific requests, it is not something that can ever be guaranteed.

You can teach English at the primary school, middle school or high school level.

No! We try to make our Teach English in Spain program as accessible to people as possible and, therefore, we don’t require a TEFL or any previous teaching experience.

No, you will not need to know or speak any Spanish in order to participate in our Teach Abroad program.

Other than the RVF International Teach English in Spain program fee, you will also need to pay the fees associated with your visa and required visa documents, totaling about $200 USD, as well as your plane ticket.

Yes! As long as you indicate early on in the on-boarding process that you would like to be placed with someone else in particular in the program, we will be able to accommodate this request. Although we cannot guarantee that you will be placed at the exact same school, we can help you be placed in the same city.

0 +
Students Enrolled
0 +
Courses Uploaded
0 +
People Certifie
0 +
Global Teachers

Travel to Spain

If you are not an EU-citizen, you will need a visa to teach English in Spain. However, if you are an EU-citizen, you won’t have to apply for a visa to enter Spain and the EU.

If you are not an Eu-citizen, you will require a Spanish Student Visa, which will allow you to teach English in Spain with the program. As part of the program, we will completely guide you through the entire visa process, we will schedule your visa appointment, and we will be there 100% of the way in case you have any questions or hiccups.

You will have to apply for the visa physically in your home country. For example, if you are American, you will have to apply for the visa in the United States at the Spanish Consulate that oversees your state. If you are Canadian, you will have to apply for the visa in the Canada at the Spanish Consulate that oversees your province. 

In an effort to mitigate as much risk as possible for those in our program, we always follow the official guidelines of the Spanish Consulates in North America. Concerning purchasing flights to Spain, they recommend waiting till you have the visa in your hand before purchasing your tickets to Spain, and it is what we recommend as well.

Yes, it is possible, although we recommend first speaking with your veterinarian to better understand the current travel rules surrounding pets on planes, animal importation procedures, as well as current vaccination and quarantines laws.

                                        2021/2022 Program Year Pre – Arrival to Spain Expected Costs
  Estimated Date of Expense                                    Program Related Expense        Estimated Cost in USD
October 2020 – February 2021 Program Commitment Deposit 700 USD
April 2021 Criminal Background Check + Apostille for Visa Appointment 65 USD
May 2021 Program School Placement Deposit 599 USD
August 2021 Spanish Visa Fee for Visa Appointment 165 USD
August 2021 Official Translation of Visa Documents for Visa Appointment Free (Expense Covered by RVF)
August 2021 Travel Expenses to Spanish Consulate for In-Person Visa Appointment 50 USD – 200 USD
September 2021 Flight to Spain 500 USD – 1000 USD
                                         2021/2022 Program Year Post – Arrival to Spain Expected Costs
  Estimated Date of Expense                                      Program Related Expense        Estimated Cost in USD
September 2021 1 Week Airbnb Cost Before Moving into Spanish Apartment 210 USD
October 2021 – May 2022 1-Bedroom Apartment Rent in Spain per Month 300 USD – 800 USD
October 2021 – May 2022 Metro/Bus Pass per Month 25 USD
October 2021 – May 2022 Bank Account Free
October 2021 – May 2022 Spanish Cellphone Service per Month 25 USD
October 2021 – May 2022 WiFi Cost per Month 10 USD
October 2021 – May 2022 Food for 1 Person per Month 90 USD

Your visa appointment will be held at the Spanish Consulate that oversees the State/Province of your permanent address. In order to issue a visa to Spain, the Spanish Consulates require in-person appointments and, although in certain circumstances they will allow visa applications to be sent via postal mail, it is best to plan accordingly to be prepared to visit the Spanish Consulate in person in late July / early August for your visa appointment that RVF International will schedule.

Below is a list of the Spanish Consulates in the United States and Canada and the States/Provinces that they oversee. You will have to visit the Spanish Consulate that supervises the State/Province where you are permanent resident.

Spanish Embassy in Washington D.C.: Washington D.C., Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina.

Spanish Consulate in New York City: Connecticut, Delaware, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania.

Spanish Consulate in Boston: Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont, Maine.

Spanish Consulate in Miami: Florida, Georgia, South Carolina.

Spanish Consulate in Chicago: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin.

Spanish Consulate in Houston: Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi.

Spanish Consulate in San Francisco: Alaska, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Washington State, Wyoming, Northern California Counties (Alameda, Alpine, Amador, Buttle, Calaveras, Colusa, Contracosta, Del Norte, El Dorado, Fresno, Glenn, Humbboldt, Inyo, Kings, Lake, Lassen, Madera, Marin, Mariposa, Mendocino, Merced, Modoc, Mono, Monterey, Napa, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Sacramento, San Benito, San Joaquin, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Shasta, Sierra, Siskiyou, Solano, Sonoma, Stanislaus, Sutter, Tehema, Trinity, Tulare, Toulumne, Yolo, Yuba).

Spanish Consulate in Los Angeles: Southern California (County of Imperial, Inyo, Kern, Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara y Ventura), Arizona, Colorado, Utah.

Spanish Embassy in Ottawa: National Capital Region (Ottawa and Gatineau).

Spanish Consulate in Toronto: Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario (except Ottawa), Saskatchewan, North West Territories, Yukon and Nunavut.

Spanish Consulate in Montreal: Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Québec (except Gatineau), Newfoundland, Labrador.

Spanish Embassy in New Zealand

Spanish Embassy in Australia.

If you have a spouse and/or children, they will each be able to apply for a Dependent Visa so they can stay long-term in Spain with you. Dependent Visa’s are only issued to Spouses and/or Children, and are not available for engaged couples, dating couples or friends.

If you are engaged or dating, and you would like your fiancé/fiancée, boyfriend/girlfriend to come with you to Spain, they can either apply for the same RVF International program if they are eligible, register for classes at a university in Spain or a Study Abroad program in Spain and receive a Student Visa that would allow them to stay in Spain for the duration of the course, or they can travel to Spain on a Tourist Visa that is only valid for 90-days out of a 180-day period before they would be required to leave Spain and the Schengen Zone.

Getting a long-term visa to Spain for a family member is straightforward as long as they are a spouse or a child. The process for a long-term visa for a fiancé/fiancée, boyfriend/girlfriend is less so and requires them studying at a university or traveling to Spain for a maximum of 90-days ever six months on a Tourist Visa.

RVF International does not assist with the visa process for a family member, or a fiancé/fiancée, boyfriend/girlfriend.

0 +
Students Enrolled
0 +
Courses Uploaded
0 +
People Certifie
0 +
Global Teachers

Life in Spain

Since you will be in Spain on a Spanish Student Visa, you won’t be permitted to contract with a company such as a restaurant or store. However, if you are wanting to make some extra money on the side while in Spain, we would definitely recommend private classes!

In Spain, private classes are known as clases particulares, and are very common for native English speakers to offer. If you ever have questions about how to find clases particulares or how to best market yourself so that you can acquire clients while in Spain, we would be more than happy to point you in the right direction.

You won’t have to pay taxes in Spain on what you earn each month as you will be on a Student Visa and not a Work Visa. What you earn each month will be a stipend and not an employee salary subject to Spanish taxes.

With regards to paying taxes in your home country, we recommend contacting a tax professional in your area. You will most likely not earn enough to have to declare your foreign earned income; however, we advise to speak with a professional for further clarity as each case is slightly different.

Yes, if properly managed, you will earn more than enough money to live comfortably in Spain. Thankfully, the cost of living in Spain is much less expensive than it is in the US or Canada and, your monthly stipend, will cover food, housing, transportation, as well as allow you to travel and explore Spain and Europe.

Yes, as part of the program, you will receive free health insurance from the Spanish government and will be covered by them throughout your participation in the program.

Starting in October, you will be paid at the end of each month via direct bank transfer from your placement school to the Spanish bank account we will help you open.

No, you won’t need a car while in Spain to get around. The Spanish public transportation system is incredibly accessible, efficient and well-connected. In your city, you will be able to get around to wherever you need to by using public transportation.

Before you arrive to Spain, we will go over exactly how to open your bank account in Spain, as well as how to get cell phone service so that you can have cell coverage wherever you are in Spain. We recommend several Spanish banks and cell phone providers and we will get you connected with them so that you can have a bank account and a working cell phone from day one.

We will guide you through the process of finding housing in Spain. We will provide you with all of the necessary information that you will need to securely, safely, and efficiently find either an apartment or a room shortly after arriving to Spain.